A broken wagon wheel statue commemorates the founding of Marksville and welcomes new visitors to our city. Marco Litche, a native of Venice, Italy and a traveling peddler, migrated to Avoyelles Post in 1794. Because of a broken wagon wheel, the pleasant environment and friendliness of the Indians and local residents, he decided to stay in the area. He established a trading post and eventually became know as Mark Eliché.
He married Julie Carmouche, daughter of Joseph Carmouche and Madeline Ducote of Point Coupee Parish on May 3, 1796. Eliché obtained Spanish land grants totaling more than 400 arpents. The area became known as “Marc’s Place,” “Marc’s Store,” and finally “Marc’s Ville.” It was officially noted on United States survey maps in 1809. Eliché donated most of the present courthouse square.